Congratulations! Bringing a baby into the world is an amazing life event you definitely want to capture. Trust me, it’s a time you want to remember, and it is a beautiful way to bond with your little one once they are older. So this blog is for you if you are considering or have booked your maternity session
1. Timing. Your session should be held between 31 and 36 weeks as your belly should have popped and have a beautiful shape. From my experience this period of the pregnancy you are past the bloating that can happen earlier. This is not everyone’s experience but just what I have seen from past clients.
2. Moisturize. Smooth soft glowing skin is absolutely the goal in your session, so I suggest you moisturize. The recommendation is do so 1 – 2 hours before the session to avoid any shine or sticky clothes.
3. Be Comfortable. Yes, comfort is key, but try to avoid wearing any tight fitting clothing, elastic waist bands, tight watches or bracelets that might leave marks on your skin. Yes, I can fix it in photoshop but why not fix it from the beginning.
4. Fingers and Toes. I cannot stress this enough, treat yourself to a manicure 1 – 2 days prior to your maternity session so that you can take some beautiful shots with your hands on your belly.
5. Props. If you are organized and have some cute baby items (shoes, hats, toys, blankets, family heirloom, pictures), bring them along to add variety to the session.
6. Clothing Optional. Not everyone wants to wear a maternity dress, but if you do, take the time to pick the right outfit for the shoot. A few suggestions, make sure that your clothing doesn’t detract from your tummy’s shape, avoid large, bold patterns or clothing that is too loose. I recommend empire waists, drawstrings, flowing tops and wrap dresses, these are perfect for enhancing your shape.
Like any portrait session, I like to chat prior and get some ideas on what you like, and where you want to shoot, indoors vs outside. Just you or will you want to add your partner, and maybe your furry family member. Take the time to make the most of this session, it is truly worth it.